Newsletter, January 2017
By Kevin Carroll, Executive Director, Tech San Diego
Tech San Diego recently authored an OpEd piece, which originally ran in the San Diego Union-Tribune, about why the new Trump Administration must not ignore small and mid-sized tech companies. You can read more here.
In support of continuous improvement Tech San Diego’s Manufacturing Operations Roundtable is conducting a three minute survey. Please click the survey button below. Everyone who completes the survey will be entered into a drawing for a $150 Amazon gift card.
Tech San Diego Members in the News
NoteVault, a top construction management software firm, has announced new innovations for 2017 including transformations to the NoteVault platform and a new labor, materials, equipment (LME) tracking and productivity application, Crew! Read more here.
Tech San Diego has partnered with the Predictive Analytics Innovation Summit coming to San Diego February 22 and 23. With this partnership, we are able to offer our readers $200 off for a two day conference pass with code TECH200. Click here to register!
Read here to learn more about how sales teams are using predictive analytics in an attempt to eliminate cold calling.
We are always running into interesting weblinks, and we think you might be interested too!
- We’ve seen a lot of peace signs displayed on social media and in the media lately, but read here about how holding a peace sign in your selfie could ruin your life.
- We hear a lot about “big data” and its potential value to government. But is it really fulfilling the high expectations that advocates have assigned to it? Find out here.
- Gone Phishing: A dangerous phishing technique targeting Gmail users that first surfaced about year ago has begun gaining steam in recent weeks. Read more here.
- Nuts About Cyber Security: Read more about how CyberSquirrel1 tracks successful squirrel attacks against the power grid.
- TrumpEnomics: Read about one tech CEO’s proposed $1 trillion savings plan for the Trump Administration.
Foreign Trade Zones Program
Save Money • Be More Competitive • Expand Your Business
Companies importing goods into the U.S. can participate in the U.S. Foreign-Trade Zones Program. Benefits include special customs procedures including duty exemptions and deferrals, inverted tariff, streamlined logistics, and other savings. For more information contact Adrienne Turner, FTZ Administrator
firstname.lastname@example.org – 619.236.6364 – www.sandiego.gov/FTZ
February 15 | Manufacturing Operations Roundtable: A Holistic Approach to Process Improvement
Why Is Lean Culture Valuable? Many of the organizations we serve use the term “Lean Culture” interchangeably with the phrase “Being a Healthy Organization.” Organizations that exhibit a high percentage of the “Lean Culture characteristics” shown in the graphic are commonly described as “healthy,” “high-performing,” and “great places to work.” While the individual personalities of healthy organizations of course vary a great deal, something they all share is a focus on achieving three key outcomes: Engaged Employees, Delighted Customers, Satisfied Stakeholders. Join us to learn more about lean culture and the Four Pillars, presented by Tracy O’Rourke! REGISTER HERE
February 16 | CEO Roundtable
The CEO Roundtable provides a unique forum for CEO’s and Presidents of Tech San Diego member companies to discuss strategic, operational, and financial issues with their peers. This Roundtable is characterized by an open and honest exchange of ideas and feedback that leaders often do not receive from within their companies. The CEO Roundtable meets monthly and participation is for Tech San Diego members and invited guests.
February 22 & 23 | Predictive Analytics Innovation Summit
The Predictive Analytics Innovation Summit provides a platform for industry leaders to deliver case studies, expertise and share unique insight into the rapidly emerging movement: the power to forecast the future with today’s data. Learn more HERE.
February 23 | The Teradata Data Science Distinguished Speaker Series: Ram Ravichandran, VISA
Join Tech San Diego as we welcome Ramkumar Ravichandran, Director, Analytics & A/B Testing at VISA. Ram has as a track record of driving impact enabling effective data science decision-making, strategy formulation and execution. Ram drives Visa’s actionable insights derived from Business Analytics, Advanced Analytics and A/B testing. Among the topics Ram will be expected to address are:
- Enabling Data Science strategy formulation & facilitating efficient execution,
- How to develop an Analytics & Testing roadmap and the outcome focused framework required for strategic execution of the roadmap.
- How to build high performing data science/analytics teams: best practices on
- Identifying, hiring and retaining data science talent
- How to deliver on Analytics and Testing to drive business impact.
Editor’s Note: We look forward to keeping you up-to-date on San Diego’s vibrant tech community. We welcome your feedback and contributions to Uplink here.